Friday, September 30, 2011

One More Step On That Ladder

So here we are once more...Another school year starts and a new set of opportunities come with it. Along with that are challenges. As parents, I know this time of the year puts knots in our stomach. It is our hope that our children adjust to their new environment, make friends and look at these "challenges" as proof positive that they are moving up that ladder one step at a time. My daughter just started her freshman year in college. The school year began without the uneasiness and tears that usually accompany this period. For her, that is a huge accomplishment. The only explanation I have for this is that she has matured, grown older, and is more experienced in handling scenarios like this. That's not to say there have been no difficulties. In fact, this semester, she had to drop English. With Psychology, Math and a couple of other subjects, the load was more than she could handle. That decision was made by her. She still has to put in a lot of effort when it comes to studying. But that is standard MO for her. Social skills continue to be challenging. I know she is trying to make friends and I certainly hope she does meet new people. She has a long way to go. I hope this road she is on is lined with sweet-smelling roses. From time to time, those damn "thorns" will pop up and I'm praying that those won't stop her from getting to where she wants to go.  Good luck my wonderful daughter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment