Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Making Time for What Matters

The holidays are finally over. They are always a very special time of the year despite how hectic and stressful they can be. Once they are over and times get calmer, I always find myself thinking about the year that passed and how I could have made it a better year for my family, friends and myself. Inevitably, it always comes back to "more time should have been spent with family and friends".  Work takes up so much of our lives. For those of us fortunate enough to have jobs, we work at least 8 hours a day. As mothers, our day doesn't end with that because most of us still have to make dinner, take care of kids and all those endless chores. Even if we have jobs, we all worry about whether those jobs will continue to be there so, usually, if overtime is needed we agree to it. Those who are currently not working are just as busy going on interviews and looking for jobs. Being New Yorkers, we are used to this lifestyle. Nevertheless, it doesn't change the fact that I feel I haven't made as much of an effort to spend time with those that mean so much to me. In the end, this is what matters most anyway. So, to my friends and family, be warned. I am going to be calling you guys to come over so I can cook for you, be around you and have fun with you. If the thought of my cooking turns you off, we could, of course, go out to eat, the movies,etc. Whatever the activity, I would like to look back at the end of this year and know that we added to that treasure chest of memories by spending time with each other.

2 comments: