Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Season of Friendship

This holiday season is a time to celebrate so many things--health, happiness, children, families, peace, financial stability, etc. Almost at the top of that list is friendship. It doesn't matter if you treasure the relationship with one friend, 2 friends, 3 friends, 10 friends or 100 friends. These are relationships that make us who we are. Relationships like this are a support system so crucial to everyone but more so for families that have children who learn learn differently. I am one of those very fortunate people who has friends with whom I share this common interest -- the desire to make the lives of our children the very best that it can be. To thank these friends, I try to have a get-together to show them just how grateful I am for their friendship. That's what we did this past week-end. In our very small home, we squeezed about 18 people and shared experiences, food and laughter. The kids get the chance to see each other and hone their social skills. They are free to be themselves and so are their parents. In talking about our children, we realized (although we've really known this for years) how talented they are and, more importantly, how beautiful their souls are. One kid is a whiz about World War II and history. Another one is one hell of an artist. I think his work should be in a museum someday. I love his work so much that I transferred an image on a t-shirt. If I ever learn how to silkscreen on fabric, I am going to ask him for permission to use his artwork on one-of-a-kind shirts. Isn't this a great business idea? A very good friend's daughters have the best manners and behavior any one could dream of. Courtesy of their mother, they are the best-dressed young ladies I know. They are a joy to have as guests. My daughter is a terrific writer with her own column in their school newspaper (forgive this proud parent for tooting her own horn). Another friend's child is also a seriously talented artist who made a Christmas card using his artwork with his own poem as the message.  Let me share a couple of lines from his poem.
"I am in a blank world
Everything is white
I am the only one with color
Everything is quiet.

Oh winter Oh winter
A season of cold
Filled with silence
May all provide yourselves with warmth."

THIS HOLIDAY SEASON IS TRULY THE SEASON OF FRIENDSHIP.

No comments:

Post a Comment