Friday, September 24, 2010

The Joy of Reading

As a person who enjoyed reading, it was fairly natural to expose my daughter to the wonder of books, magazines, newspapers and anything that was written. We are not talking highly intellectual books here. I enjoyed some of those kinds of books, but mostly, I read true stories, Nicholas Sparks books, cookbooks, magazines (even the trashy gossip ones), and, when my daughter was born, children's books. Reading was a time for her and me to enjoy each other's company.  It was a wonderful and calm time for both of us. I didn't have to worry about her echolalia or hyperactivity because reading seemed to keep her interest right to the very end. We started with the typical baby books like most parents. The books that opened up this whole joyful world of book reading to my daughter were Dr.Seuss books which at this time came with VHS tapes. She memorized the text of these books before she could actually read the words and would turn the pages appropriately. Despite the language delay, when she read these books aloud, she could be understood perfectly. She would be in her own little world when she was reading, but she allowed me in hers from time to time. When we read together, I was not just her mom, I was also her best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment