Thursday, September 26, 2013

Being With Other Parents

   My daughter is now 21 years old and in her second year of college. It has been a long, wonderful, difficult, crazy and joyful journey and continues to be. We were reminded of that last night when my daughter and I attended a parents' support group meeting. These were parents of very young children running from age 3 to 7. For me, this was ages ago, but I can sympathize with these parents of young children diagnosed with either autism or PDD-NOS. There is that big shock when the diagnosis is first given. Once that initial fearful event subsides, there is that greater frustration at not knowing exactly who to turn or what to do for your child. My daughter's diagnosis was given 16 years ago when she was 5 years old and it still feels like yesterday. The meeting last night was a reminder of how we just never forget those feelings.
   To have your child shuttled from one educational setting to another was so traumatizing not just for us the parents but also for our daughter. It felt like none of the schools we approached wanted us there. My daughter was finally placed in a special ed setting which was the right fit for 2 years. After that, the search for a more appropriate setting continued. The godsend in all this was finding the agency that would provide us with the necessary skills to cope and help my daughter. QSAC was the agency I turned to and they have been there for us through all the difficult times. We still need them and we still have the "episodes" which I would not be able to go through alone. So, it is without shame that I admit how much I need their help. We are so indebted to them that the very least I can do is help them whenever they ask us to. Sometimes finances and work schedules get in the way, but as long as it is possible, we'll be there for this agency. That's why we came to the support group meeting. I have been on the battlefield a little longer than the parents who were there. They need to know that there is, in fact, light at the end of that tunnel. And it is a very bright light. Our children can be taught new concepts and new skills. They can make friends. They will show us how wonderful our lives are because they are in it.  The diagnosis is not the end of our lives as we know it. Every little accomplishment our children make is so celebrated. Because of that, I think we are the lucky ones. I must correct that and instead say "I KNOW WE ARE THE LUCKY ONES!!!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment