Monday, April 15, 2013

Back Off

   The spring semester for my daughter is drawing to a close so it is now time for her to decide whether she should work or take a summer class. In order to lessen the stress of college life, we, as her parents, have tried to leave the decision regarding her work load in school up to her. Her first semester in college taught us that clearly 15 credits was way too much. That semester ended with her dropping 1 three credit course. Even with 12 credits, we could see how stressful the semester was. Thankfully, she passed all her classes. Every semester since then has been much lighter. Since this is now the case for the regular semesters, it seems to me that it makes sense that she makes use of the summer by taking a class. If  she doesn't do that, then she has to work. That's fair, isn't it?
   One of my daughter's attempts to work was putting in an application with Build-A-Bear in Times Square, NY. This is an adorable store with wonderful products. Being the shy person that she is, my daughter asked if she should still bring her application in person even though she already applied on line. I am so used to "helping" her out that I willingly called the store. I told the young lady who answered that my daughter applied on line and should she still come in person. The young lady said she should because they would like to meet the applicants. We did and, of course, my daughter was pretty terrified of asking the sales staff where she should go and who she should talk to. I was with her so I "kind of" helped her out. I listened from a distance as she answered the manager's questions. She was shy and soft-spoken but I thought she did a pretty good job. She thought so too and was glad for the experience. I knew ahead of time that my nephew was a friend of the manager of the store (she's the one who answered the phone). I told my nephew that my daughter applied but we did not want to "drop" names and get him involved. In no time at all, my nephew called his friend and, needless to say, he realized that I made the phone call for her. His advice to me was " Back off and let her do this on her own. She's old enough and capable of doing this."
   I realized my nephew was right. I had to tell my daughter that this was not a job she was getting and how, at this point, the experience was more important than getting the job. I also told her about my nephew's advice and that this was a very important lesson we both should learn.
   Last week, on her own, my daughter went to the Broadway.com office in Times Square because they were looking for fans of this site to make announcements of awards to Broadway actors that they were giving out. She wanted to be one of the announcers in the worst way. You have to understand that my daughter is an avid fan of Broadway shows and the actors and actresses involved in these shows. She has an uncanny knowledge of Broadway trivia. From the lesson we had just learned, she knew it was important to do this on her own. She did and was nervous but terribly excited. Broadway.com is one of her very favorite sites. She's on it every night after school. The result? Watch the site today (April 15, 2013) at 10 AM for the announcements. She's one of them. Thank you, dear nephew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment